Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ode to Pana

Pana (Pants' Nana) is interrupting her busy life to make the 2 hour drive up to spend the weekend with her girls. I am adding the "s" to girl because technically Elle will be home and therefore her mother will be spending time with her as well.
Pana is the very definition of a grandma. She is the type of grandma that prepares for her visits days in advance of them. She will be bum rushed by Pants' the minute she rings the doorbell. Immediately after giving her Nana a hug Miss Thing will start that not to subtle slide toward Pana's bags. Why? Because she knows that it is virtually impossible for her Nana to get through the week without finding something that Pants just "has to have". It usually isn't anything big- sometimes a coloring book or a packet of stickers, her favorite m&ms, etc. She doesn't do this to spoil Pants, she does it because she never stops thinking about her granddaughter.
Trips to the grocery store become a game of "I wonder if Pants likes......" or "I hope that Elle remembers that Pants now likes green apples instead of the red ones". Trips to the Marts (large box stores with names like Target and Wal-mart) always include a trip to the toy and book aisle- just in case a manufacturer has invented a wonderful thing in the past week for her girl.
Please don't think I am teasing Pana. Honestly- Uncle the Dad is just as bad. Between the two of them that little girl will never want for anything. Fortunately Elle has started to learn this and assigned them each areas to cover- Pana is shoes and Uncle is purses- they split toys and clothes, however the Boy is all about stuffed animals for her.
This week in anticipation of her weekend with the girls, Pana will pack her bags (making sure Pants' gift is on top). She will likely start to go to bed a little earlier at night to prepare herself for the whirlwind fairy that is Miss Pants. The car will be gassed up and ready to go at least 6 hours before it is time for her to hit the road. The last day of work before her trip will be spent gazing at pictures of her girl and re-reading all of her blog posts. Finally (an hour earlier than she needs to) Pana will hit the open road and venture north (technically mostly east) to Pants.
All the while the Reynolds Family will be jealous- Pana gets to see Miss Pants and hang out with her for 3 whole days.

I dedicate this post to Pants' Nana who is one heck of a lady (and a really good mom to Elle too). It has recently come to my attention that when I fail to properly update my blog Elle will get a call from Pana instructing her to tell me to update my blog. Have fun with Miss Thing this weekend!

3 comments:

Pants on the Loose & Little Man said...

You hit the nail on the head!

Bridie MacDonald said...

Sheila, I haven't been on the WIR site in a month because I have been too busy, but let everyone know I have been reading the blogs and keeping up with everyone's lives (trying) with the blogs.

I'm so glad life is going well with Dave and the boy (hopefully he is liking school again) and miss pants is cute as ever...still. I find your relationship with her to be so funny. Hope you are doing very well on your goals, I miss you guys!

--college

The Mom said...

College,
I will be sure to let the ladies know. I know you are missed. Hopefully life will calm down for you soon and you can join us again.

Happy Holidays
S