Friday, August 15, 2008

Successful School Week

We have nearly reached the end of the first week back at school for the Boy. I believe we can chalk this week up as a successful one.
Highlights as follows:
According to the Boy:
Teacher- super cool because she went to adult space camp this summer
Room- biggest classroom in the school square footage wise (apparently that's a good thing)
Students- same kids as the last 2 years so all of his friends are there.
According to the Mom:
Parents- the Dad and I both made it through the first day of 5th grade dry eyed
Teacher- let the parents see the classroom (much to the Boy's embarrassment)
Room- towards the front of the school so when the Boy forgets something I don't have to wonder through the entire courtyard to get to his classroom
Students- same as last year so I am used to the parents

The Boy has taken this whole being a 5th grader seriously. As previously agreed upon he has taken all showers without complaint, gone to bed on time every night, started his homework exactly at the pre-agreed upon time, and started riding his bike to school.
The bike thing was almost worse than the first day of school for me. He took off while I was still locking up the house so I had to yell my good-byes when he was half way down the block. I did follow behind him in the car but was able to resist the urge to park and help him lock up the bike. I will admit I was a nervous wreck waiting for him to get home from school yesterday (first bike day) and call to report he was safe and sound.
Today watching him ride off on his bike was a little easier- especially since the Dad and I decided that the Boy isn't allowed to drive until he is 30 or date until he is 40. PS. please don't tell the Boy because he is still under the impression that he'll get his license at the same time as everyone else.

No comments: