Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Trying to Give Money Away

As part of the save the world and our pocketbook campaign, the CS ladies have a weekly challenge. Some weeks it's about putting money into savings, other weeks it's about clearing out the clutter in our homes, etc.
This week our challenge is to purchase and donate school supplies to those in need. Sounds like an easy challenge right? Yeah, that's what I foolishly thought too.
Had I just gone straight to Staples and done an in store purchase I could have dropped items off in their collection bin. But, no that was too easy for The Mom. I was determined to ensure that the donation would go straight to local schools and kids. Not an easy task mind you.
I started with the Salvation Army, thinking maybe they were collecting school supplies. After trying to reach them via phone half a dozen times I gave up trying.
Apparently no one answers the phone at the Boy's elementary school during the summer months. The school district office assumed I was a nutcase.
Finally I found a number for a local charity and called them. They put me in touch with another charity that was exactly what I was looking for.
It's a small charity called Operation School Bell. They collect school supplies and hand them out to families in need. I spoke with the organizer and have a list of items they are looking for. Step 2 is to actually make it to the store and stock up on the items they requested and drop them off at the charity.
This fiasco reminded me of our Christmas experiences. In an effort to teach the Boy about the importance of helping others we tried to adopt a family at Christmas. This proved nearly impossible as well. Again, charities refusing to return phone calls or not answering their phones.
Why is it everyone that I don't want to give money to wants my money? And those that I would gladly donate to don't answer their phones?

No comments: